Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica participation in 4/3rds format - OlympuLeic or LeicOlymp?
From: datamaster at northcoastphotos.com (Gary Todoroff)
Date: Thu Mar 2 17:42:02 2006

I just made the plunge and ordered today the Olympus E-330 DSLR and their
Zuiko 7-14mm f4.0 lens (14-28mm equiv in 35mm)
( see http://www.olympusamerica.com/e1/sys_lens_714mm.asp ). Also ordered
the Oly 4/3 to Leica R adapter, so just might keep some of my R lenses.

I wrote a review on eBay a few months ago about my Olympus C-8080 and
especially about the comparison between the DSLR market and the Electronic
Viewfinder (EVF) crop of cameras that act more like rangefinders. The 8080
handles more like an M body than most other digital cameras and is
especially creative because of the tiltable EVF, just like the new E-330
has. The review is at:
http://reviews.ebay.com/Olympus-C-8080-Rangefinder-Camera-vs-DSLR-Approach_W
0QQugidZ10000000000004230

The 8 mpix of the 8080 has been more than adequate for anything resembling
photo journalism, so the 7.5 mpix of the E-330 should be OK, too. Even
landscapes up to 12x18" are just fine with the very sharp lens of the 8080.
For anything finer, like aerial photography, I'm still using the Hasselblad
with film and then the Imacon Photo scanner - my "hybrid" approach. Going
from 8 to 10 mpix in a 35mm type of digital camera is practically
insignificant. When medium format digital backs come down in price a bit,
that's when I'll opt for a 20+ mpix sensor that really does make a
difference for big enlargements.

The new Panasonic looks great, but no release dates yet. in the meantime I
hope to report on the Olympus E-330 and R lens combo soon. But what do we
call it?

Regards,
Gary Todoroff
(Tree LUGger)