Subject: [Leica] Breakfast - I figured it out!!
From: richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard)
Date: Wed Mar 8 21:43:30 2006

Ted, it's simple once you know how it works :-) See, it is BECAUSE you did
everything the auto-way that everything more or less works for you. The
main thing to know is that there is no such thing as "color" in a digital
file. It's just a bunch of numbers. To map these numbers to colors, you
need the translation keys. These are called profiles. The sRGB profile is
the preferred one for auto work because it works with most devices, be it
monitor, printer, camera, etc. The downside of sRGB is that the range of
colors it can represent is relatively small. For example, imagine a color
film where it cannot hold all shades of red. The upside is that if you just
stay with the sRGB profile and not muck around with it, then things more or
less work pretty well.

This is exactly what happens in your case. You camera when recording in JPG
mode, is set to use the sRGB profile by default. The same file displays on
the monitor reasonably well, even after you put it on the web, and also
print out reasonably.

If you want to keep as much color information as possible, you would use
one of the wider gamut profiles. When displaying it on the web though, it
is best to convert the file to use sRGB profile since the web browsers
expect files to be using the sRGB profile. In Tina's case, she used a wider
gamut profile. However, at the last stage, instead converting one profile
to another, she accidentally just make her file take on a new profile. This
makes the translation no longer correct. For example, lets say the number
15 is some shade of red in Profile A. If you want to use Profile B instead,
you would look up the number for that shade of red in Profile B, and use
that number instead of 15. If you don't do the conversion and just use
Profile B, then you would continue to use the number 15, which is probably
some other color altogether in Profile B.

Since you are the Keep It Simple type of guys, and I doubt anyone ever
complains that your pictures are lacking in the color department, just