Subject: [Leica] Re:Deer as rats
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (lrzeitlin@optonline.net)
Date: Thu Mar 9 14:43:08 2006

Don writes:

<<However, deer overpopulation is a real problem in many densly populated
states.? New Jersey has a huge problem akin to Daniels where nothing edible
is safe from the marauding mowers.? We could reintroduce wolves to the urban
population and some are trying birth control but so far the only way to
knock down deer populations is a long hunting season with does on the
license.? Bows are a good choice in an urban environment as they carry at
most a few hundred yards and if used fron a stand there is a only a very
remote chance of unintended harm.>>

------

I second Don's deer angst. Deer are 100 pound rats. The average deer
consumes 20 lbs. of foliage every day, usually my wife's expensive hand
planted perennials. In fact they will eat everything in the garden except
the concrete paving blocks. Now that we have eliminated the wolves from New
York State and forced the bears to emigrate to New Jersey, the only deer
predator left is the automobile. Body shops are kep
t in business by deer dents and more than a few hospitals can thank deer for
providing them with organ donors who were killed by swerving to avoid Bambi.

There are now more deer in the state than there were when the Indians roamed
the wild. They have invaded our territory. Five sleep in our back yard. We
were here before they were. My wife has to disperse the crowd by  hitting
them with a folded newspaper. I have taken all the Leica photos of deer I
ever want to see.

Eat more venison. Eat!

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] Re:Deer as rats)