Subject: [Leica] bra size and mortality.
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Tue Mar 14 19:36:30 2006

At 10:10 PM 3/14/06 -0500, B. D. Colen wrote:
>Yes, Marc, you were indeed picking a fight with me. Either that or you
really are the pretenious horse's ass you often appear to be and have
absolutely no idea how inane - and apparently intentionally rude - your
comments are at times. Take your choice. :-)

BD

Gimme a break.  You used a phrase that is a LARGE ALARM BELL for racism,
sexism, religious intolerance, and I called you on it.

Again, my argument is not with you, but with your language.  In the end,
are you a bigot?  You are sounding like one.  Learn your own history:  for
decades, the phrase "persuasion" was a term used to put "lesser breeds"
into their place.  The history on this is clear and I woudl suggest that
you go over to talk to some of the Feminist Studies folks for this one.  In
the end, there are no folks of  a "Negro persuasion" and there are no folks
of a "Jewish persuasion" and there are no folks of a "Spanish persuasion"
and no folks of a "female persuasion".

You used a term which was a key word of the racism of the past, BD.  Again,
my fight is not with you but is with the word.  You did not ask to be born
"BD Colen".  You were just born as such.  A black man or a Jewish woman did
not ask to be born as such but so they are.  The use of the term
"persuasion" is insulting and demeaning and, for that matter, was so
discussed in the US media on the verge of the US entry into the Second
World War, over the Marion Anderson problem when she was tasked to sing at
the DAR and the US media kept describing her as "of African persuasion".
Strom Thurmond raised hell over that language and, as he noted, she was a
singer, not someone of African heritage.

Similarly, Tina is a photographer.  She is not of a "female persuasion",
and your language is demeaning to all women.  Why can yuo not accpet her as
a human being of great worth and as a photographer of accomplishment?  At
times, BD, your efforts to categorize us all is more than a bit disturbing.
 We are all humans, and why not just accept us as that?

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

NEW FAX NUMBER:  +540-343-8505