Subject: [Leica] I am visiting Australia
From: rdcb37 at dodo.com.au (Rick Dykstra)
Date: Fri Mar 17 02:43:47 2006

Strange thing is I'm short as either a Dutchman or an Aussie.  I
guess my parents decided to get out of Holland before the next flood.

Re the Watusi -

People are often surprised when I ten them the Dutch are the tallest
people in the world. Aren't they shrimps compared with the famously
tall Tutsi (or "Watusi," as you probably first encountered them) of
Central Africa? Actually, the supposed great height of the Tutsi is
one of the most durable myths from the age of European exploration.
Careful investigation reveals that today's Tutsi men average 5'7 "
and that they have maintained that average for more than 100 years.
That means that back in the 1800s, when puny European men first met
the Tutsi, the Europeans suffered strained necks from looking up all
the time. The two-to-three-inch difference in average height back
then could easily have turned into fantastic stories of African
giants by European adventurers and writers.

 From here - http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1511/
is_n2_v19/ai_20159533

Rick.