Subject: [Leica] Learnt something about my R8 today.
From: rdcb37 at dodo.com.au (Rick Dykstra)
Date: Sun Mar 19 20:49:44 2006

It's about 9 years that I've been using R8's now and today I learnt
something new.  A feature I like with set-piece nature shots is the F
mode, where I can check for ideal dosage of flash ahead of time.  Its
always bugged me that the F mode and the m mode were at opposite ends
of the dial as I like to check the ambient light conditions before
testing with the flash.  The thing I 'discovered' today was that it's
possible to get an ambient-light-only reading with F mode - just
leave the flash off and press down the depth of field preview
lever.   Bingo, the light meter scale illuminates and displays the
results based on ambient light only!  Turn on the flash and do it
again to see what the flash is contributing.  This is good.  The
flash meter built into the R8 and R9 is a great feature.

I drove up into the mountains again today simply to finish off a roll
that I've been slowly working through over the last three trips.  'Da
boyds' decided to help me out.  A mum and dad pair of Scarlet Robins
took turns landing 2.7 meters away from my 560mm lens, and copped a
dose of precisely metered Metz flash.  I'll post the shots later this
week.

Rick.

Replies: Reply from fredhess at phenix-visuals.nl (Fred Hess / Phenix Visuals NL) ([Leica] Learnt something about my R8 today.)