Subject: [Leica] So long Rodinal. I'm going to miss you.
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Fri Mar 17 08:07:48 2006

I had a couple rolls of 135 Tech Pan that I never shot, simply because I
knew I'd struggle with it. It always seems to work out that when I have
slow film in my Leica I find myself needing to shoot indoors in low
light. If I load fast film I'm outdoors with f16 my only option. TC400
BW is a great film for scanning, and it has a lot of latitude. But I
can't process C-41, and I like to process my own film.

I hate to admit it -- because it has a bad rap -- but my favorite film
is TMAX 400. It impressed me the first time I tried it, which was back
when it first came out. Even rated at 800 it had amazingly fine grain,
even in Rodinal. I normally use very diltute Rodinal or XTOL.

TMY does have some quirks, though. Properly developed, the negs almost
look underdeveloped, or way too thin. That takes some getting used to.
Especially when I eye the negs next to other films.

BTW, speaking of Tech Pan, several of my all time favorite bw prints --
which I still have on my walls -- were captured years ago on 120 Tech
Pan in  a Pentax 645. Makes me wonder why I ever sold the Pentax. I
guess I wanted the status of owning a Hasselblad :-) !

DaveR