Subject: [Leica] Ansonia Hotel
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor)
Date: Fri Mar 17 08:25:29 2006

The Ansonia on Broadway at 74th was once a famous New York hotel
catering primarily to the arts community.  Enrico Caruso, Igor
Stravinsky, Arturo Toscanini, Florenz Ziegfeld, Theodore Dreiser, and
Babe Ruth (an artist of a different stripe, [heh, heh, ;-)]) all
called it home at one time or another.    Today it is condos.

It is typically described as "a 1904 Beaux Arts masterpiece,"
seemingly dropped into the upper West Side direct from Paris.  It is
a magnificent sight from the 20th floor of a hotel just across the
street.

At dawn (M3 40mm Nokton - f1.4 @ 1/60th)

http://gallery.leica-users.org/NYC/1_34_0223_web

Shortly after sunrise (M3 15mm Heliar f5.6 at 1/250th if I remember
correctly)

http://gallery.leica-users.org/NYC/2_31A_0187_web

This is the bottom half of the negative.  The upper half is all sky.
I took shot after shot trying to get people into interesting places
in that splash of light at street level.  New Yorkers on an early
Sunday morning are very uncooperative.  ;-)  Probably should have
brought some inflatable people along a la Graham and his ducks and
cows.

Enjoy!  Comments welcome as always.

--
Regards,