Subject: [Leica] Ricoh GR digital - some of my tests
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sat Mar 18 00:29:15 2006

I was not going to post these images, but since this thread is of
interest to many, here are some pictures I took in Val d'Isere with my
newly acquired GRD this week. I was staying in a chalet with broadband
and Wifi (plus many other creature comforts), so I brought my laptop and
posted some images to show my family where I was. I must stress that
these are processed on a laptop and so will be re-done now that I am at
home (and I have a lot of other images to edit).

In a nutshell: Didier is absolutely right about the hot shoe. The 28mm
finder from Stephen Gandy is perfect on this camera. The Ricoh performs
very well, but let's not kid ourselves: images shot at 800 or 1600 with
a tiny sensor are noisy, no matter what. I shot some images inside bars
and in the chalet at 800, but they will need some Noise Ninja before I
post them. So for happy party snaps it is better to use the flash at
stay below 400 on the ISO--the higher speeds should be reserved for
situations when you want to be unobtrusive.

Anyway, here are the pics:
http://wajsman.smugmug.com/gallery/1274687
and here are some initial comments I put on my blog:
http://www.fotocycle.dk/blog/?p=63

Both of the above will be updated later this week.

Kind regards,
Nathan

--
Nathan Wajsman