Subject: [Leica] Re: Weatherproof camera
From: lmc at interlink.es (Luis Miguel Castañeda)
Date: Sun Mar 19 22:35:05 2006

> Above water I find them all clumsy (bulky because of the pressure
> resistant body, and scale focus which must be set by looking at the
> front of the lens and adjusting over a precise but very long scale),

Not the old ones, they are almost undestructable. I've had several II
and III, all previously owned, and  all worked fine, about the
bulkness, they are smaller than a leica and about the same weight.
The VF are mostly crap or unusable after those years, but who needs a
precise one with that kind of camera?

> and prefer a WP P&S even though I'd sometimes miss the focus and
> exposure control. I have obtained good results (better than you
> might expect) from a Canon Sureshot WP, and Olympus Infinity Zoom
> series cameras.

those aren't bad cameras, including others like the minolta
weathermatic... but you rely everything but framing and snapping in
electronics, motors, etc that due to low price usually don't stand so
much even with a careful use.

> Unfortunately all broke down after about 10 years

mines too, they weren't designed as tools but toys.
I prefer, by far, one of the older nikonos. I never had a single
problem or annoyance with them, and the last one I bougth recently
for $150 shipped (I was missing one for years) is working fine since
1971. You can't ask more for that price.

Saludos
http://imaginarymagnitude.net/blog/