Subject: [Leica] Football
From: bill_clough at yahoo.com (Bill Clough)
Date: Tue Mar 21 08:40:48 2006

USA
TEXAS
CORPUS CHRISTI

Hi there--

   The discussion on shooting football sans motor sparks a
memory--translation: war story.

   Today, some newspapers post a photographer at each
quarter of the field. Before digital, it was not uncommon,
at a large college or pro game, to expose 250 rolls of
film. I know of one Pulitzer-Prize winning photographer who
used to return to the office with all those rolls rolling
around in a large, plastic garbage bag.

   Why? Because the Sports Desk editors, watch the games on
television, pre-editing what the photographers shot from
television. The editor sees a great play on instant replay,
calls the photographer on his cellphone and asks if he
managed to get the shot? Faced with that kind of pressure,
photographers hold down the motor drive down to make sure
if anything moves, they've got it.

   Contrast that with a man named Frank at West Texas State
College (now West Texas States A&M) in Canyon, Texas, in
the mid-60s--supposedly the proverbial golden age of
photojournalism. I was shooting for the newspaper; Frank
shot for the college yearbook. He used a Speed Graphic.

   Before a play, Frank would glance at the scoreboard,
study the formation of the team, walk x-number of feet down
the sideline, point his speed graphic at a certain spot on
the playing field, and wait. Nine times out of 10, the
action occurred exactly where he had planned.

   Other photographers fired away with their motor drives;
Frank got the single shot because he knew the game.

   I learned very quickly the key to success was to follow
Frank.

--Bill