Subject: [Leica] enough with Olympus DSLR postings PLEASE
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Tue Mar 21 19:00:44 2006

B.D.,
I beg to differ.  On the manufacturing side we have lost Kyocera, Konica,
Minolta.  If sales don't pick up we will lose Olympus and NIkon within three
years: Olympus after a major sale and pirating Nikon's coop dollars managed
a whopping 11% market share in the U.S market.  If Nikon doesn't start
shipping huge quantities of D200's really soon they will be looking fondly
on the stepper business.  Kodak will probably be out of the camera business
in less time based on the amount of space they gave cameras at PMA.

On the retail side, the small players are going away as in closed doors with
no one interested in the business.  For photography related purchases we
will soon be at Wal-Mart, Ritz, B&H, the local big box electronics store,
and a few regional chains. K&S, Samy's, Bergen, and a few others will
survive at least for this generation.  Without a place to promote
photography, we will end up with camera phones as the standard equipment.

Strong words, sure; but you were not talking to the folks in the photo
business in Florida.  An indication of how things are going is the serious
talk of folding PMA into CES.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com