Subject: [Leica] WAS: enough with Olympus NOW HCB
From: walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson)
Date: Wed Mar 22 08:07:24 2006

Paul:

 Have you read the caption information used in  the issue of Vu in 1936?
/"With lively step, breasting the wind, clenching their rifles, they ran
down the slope covered with thick stubble. Suddenly their soaring was
interrupted, a bullet whistled -- a fratricidal bullet -- and their
blood was drunk by their native soil." /
 Later, an issue of Life call it "Death in Spain" and states the subject
was just killed by a machine gun bullet to the head.

Go to the below listed site and just look at the various photographs.
Read Whelan's  statements and  then ask yourself  if  he doesn't seem a
bit less than objective.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/database/capa_r.html

An interesting aspect from the entire published take is the first group
shot. Anyone who has  covered a  "news event" should be able to get a
sense of what is going on.

Are we to take it for granted this group stood up waving their rifles
for the photographer and weren't hosed down by machine gun fire. Perhaps
the enemy gunner felt more inclined to be sporting and go for moving
targets? We have all those posed shots  and yet when the damn action
starts Capa gets off two frames?

It seems to me your research on this issue is a bit lax.  As far as your
question, why worry about it now, my answer is why the hell not. If it
isn't real, then it certainly is /*history*/. Should Capa have returned
and said "oops, I screwed the pooch?" No, not at all. He had a marvelous
career, he was a hell of a shooter and that's quite enough.( I do take
issue with those who may say "shut up, it's a done deal",. Especially
Cornell Capa and Whelan.)

 Ask B.D. how difficult it is to get the scribes at the Washington Post
to really tell it like it is.  I'd certainly not expect more in a era
where propaganda was de rigueur for every country's media. (an pretty
much still is)

Walt

p.s.   Next, lets do this /*walking on water*/ thing. Inquiring minds
should want to know. :-P