Subject: [Leica] (no subject)
From: bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Wed Mar 22 12:22:48 2006

God I know I'll hate myself in the morning....but....
I'd suggest Walt that the Spanish Civil War was, in so far as it was a fight
between Spaniards, a fight between fascists and democrats - and that all
manner of liberals, leftists, and communists flocked to the democratic side
to fight the fascists, while the Nazis backed Franco and used Spain as a
testing range for the development and refinement of weapons and tactics,
particularly the use of airpower.

But there were plenty of well-meaning Americans, Canadians, etc., who were
not communists, who joined the Abraham Lincoln Brigade, et.al, to fight
fascism, and who were latter smeared as "commies" for their efforts.