Subject: [Leica] Re:Noctilux abberations?
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (lrzeitlin@optonline.net)
Date: Wed Mar 22 14:31:02 2006

Ted writes:

<<>> " because the residual aberrations of such a fast lens add an
> ethereal quality to your photos? "<<<<<
I've used a Noctilux since it was available in Canada, '72-73? And at times
it was - is my main lens indoor and out. However I was never aware of this
condition. Is this something I've missed all these years that's good, bad or
ugly? Serious question.>>

Ted,

To be honest I've never used a Noctilux. But I do have a vintage Canon 50mm
F 1/2 on an M3 that I use for informal available light portraits of women.
The slight uncorrected spherical abberation when used at settings greater
than F 2 gives a hint of a soft halo around a sharp core that most of my
subjects seem to like - sort of like a Hollywood diffusion screen effect.
Stopped down beyond F 2 the lens is quite sharp, nearly as good as a
Summicron. My question really was to find out if this is true of the
Noctilux as well.

Erwin Puts seems to feel that the Canon is a better lens than the early
 Noctilux Again, I have no basis for comparison.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from denik at comcast.net (Dennis Kushner) ([Leica] Re:Noctilux abberations?)
Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] Re:Noctilux abberations?)