Subject: [Leica] About the Noctilux
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Sat Mar 25 07:14:15 2006

The Noctilux is an outstanding lens stopped down and amazing wide
open. it is not fuzzy. The lack of flare makes any other fast lens I
have used look poor. Stopped down its performance is close to the
Summicron and Summilux. Whilst it is fairly heavy - lots of glass and
metal - it is about the same diameter as my EOS 50mm f1.4 lens and
very slightly longer, though this is to be expected as the M body is
much thinner than a reflex.
A Noctilux on a M is still much smaller than most reflex cameras with
the standard zoom. The Noctilux at f1 is better than typical standard
zooms at f4. The "good" f2.8 zooms are massively bigger and heavier
as well as 3 stops slower.
I can understand somebody choosing the M with 50 f1.4 because it is
smaller not because it is superior.
Anyone who thinks it is flawed doesn't know how to use it.
Frank