Subject: [Leica] About the Noctilux
From: bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Sat Mar 25 08:29:48 2006

Those are gorgeous images, Tina. And yet, over the years, you and I have
both seen similar sorts of images shot by photographers who, like you, knew
what they were doing, that were shot using 1.4 Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Zeiss,
Olympus, and, yes, Leica ( ;-) ) lenses. I would suggest that most times
when it's impossible to get the shot without a lens faster than 1.4 - and I
stress most - the overall lighting is just so damn low and flat that even
with a Super Lens the resulting photo is just muddy and flat. Most - stress
on most again - of the time when there are splashes of light in the dark, as
in your photos, 1.4 will do the trick. But of course there are, admittedly,
those couple times a year that fall outside the mostness, and then it's have
faster glass or miss the shot. :-)