Subject: [Leica] new to DMR - newbie question
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Sat Mar 25 11:08:10 2006

2006-03-25-12:07:41 Douglas Herr:
> I'm sure there was a learning curve for the SL2 & K64 as well but that was
> so long ago that it's been completely obliterated from my memory ;-)  I
> expect that some day the DMR will be as instinctive as the Leicaflexes are.

I think it'll help a lot that you're used to shooting 'chromes, since
the exposure discipline is the same -- expose to avoid blowing out the
highlights.

I think you'll be pleased by how much detail can be found buried in
shadows with digital in genaral and the DMR in particular.  The only
thing I'm having trouble with with the DMR (and I'd love hints from
the assembled company) is weird-looking, slightly splotchy colors in
low, mixed light at the highest ISOs (compared to the really forgiving
Canons).  I think I've tracked it down to a particularly noisy blue
channel.  Maybe there's some sophisticated way to smooth that channel
out which the ace Photoshop workers here can point to, but so far I've
gotten the most appealing results in low light (and good, on an
absolute scale, compared to what I was able to get with fast B&W
films) by tossing out the blue channel and mixing red and green to
gray.

But as far as I've seen, you don't do the skulking-about-in-the-dark
sort of photography.  Your way of working should play to the strengths
of the DMR, and I look forward to seeing/hearing how it compares to
some of your accustomed slide films once you've gotten through the
teething phase.

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] new to DMR - newbie question)
Message from telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr) ([Leica] new to DMR - newbie question)