Subject: [Leica] new to DMR - now image storage
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Sat Mar 25 12:16:57 2006

At 3:39 PM +0100 3/25/06, Fred Hess / Phenix Visuals NL wrote:
>Hello Doug,
>
>Buy yourself a Xs-drive such as the Vosonic VP2160 with a capacity of 40 or
>80GB. And 'drop' the entire content of your SD-card  in this device, when
>your SD-card is full.
>
>I use the VP 2160 /80GB now for several weeks and I am very pleased with it.
>
>Fred Hess.
>
>Phenix Visuals, the Hague, NL

The Vosonics have the virtue of being the cheapest, in general, but
they are slow and you can't download very many images on one charge
(about 3-4Gb worth). I've used two different Vosonics for the past 3
years.

I recently got a Nexto CF unit, which was slightly more expensive,
but is approximately 15x as fast, and the way I have it set up, with
a small external battery, will accept the full 100Gb (I installed a
low power Fujitsu 100Gb drive) worth of images on one charge. The
internal battery alone allowed me to download 35Gb of images on the
very first charge.

http://fhoude34.free.fr/PortableHD_Main.htm

has some info, including download speeds on various units, and has
links to additional reviews.

There is no North American source for the unit at this time that I am
aware of, so your choice is getting it direct from Korea, or there is
apparently a German and/or British dealer. I got mine in a couple of
days via Australia from:

http://www.powerinnumbers.com.au/

with excellent service.

I wouldn't consider any other unit at this time. One that could be
considered is the Jobo Giga Vu Pro Evolution, a unit that is just as
fast, somewhat larger, more versatile, has a nice screen, not
available yet, has unknown battery life, and will be a _LOT_ more
expensive.

The Nexto has been a revelation for shooting digital. I'm thinking of
getting a second unit so that all images can be downloaded to two
drives. Initially I was going to use my Vosonic as the backup drive,
but the difference in performance is so immense that it would drive
me up the wall.

On the related topic, I haven't yet lost an image due to card failure
(various CF cards, SD cards and XD cards). Most have been Sandisk,
with some Lexars, Olympus and two Microdrives. I make a point of not
reformatting them (the best way of clearing the previous shoot)
before the images are in two other locations. So far so good.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design

Replies: Reply from ericm at pobox.com (Eric) ([Leica] new to DMR - now image storage)