Subject: PS Re: [Leica] Forget A couple of shots...
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Thu Mar 30 09:28:55 2006

> it seems that several of us (myself included) assumed initially from her
> attire that the woman is a muslim.  I
> also wonder if B.D. would have noticed the image if the woman were not
> wearing the hajib.

for me the viewer's response to the photo says more about the viewer than
about the woman in the picture.  For example Tina possibly because of her
greater experience in the middle east didn't notice the hajib in particular,
others assumed she's a muslim because of her clothing, and of us who assumed
she's a muslim the responses included from 'American [meaning USA] but not
mainstream', 'not American', and 'hostile to America', revealing our own
experiences and prejudices.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com