Subject: [Leica] Russian Jupiter-9 85/2 lens question
From: durling at cox.net (durling@cox.net)
Date: Mon Apr 3 06:55:00 2006

My understanding is that the black ones are later and also coated.  The
first two numerical digits of the serial number are the year of production.
Mine is black and '74.  I had the opportunity to look over a couple in the
shop and found the black one to be nicer than the silver ones.

Even though coated it does flare under certain lighting conditions, and the
focus is not perfect which is a common problem with these.  Otherwise it is
a very nice lens.

Mike Durling