Subject: [Leica] why we photograph?
From: smcj35 at yahoo.com (Colin J)
Date: Thu Apr 6 12:29:57 2006

Ted Grant wrote:
> Colin J offered:
> Subject: Re: [Leica] why we photograph?
>
> > My photography improved very much after I
> took
> > drawing classes at the local college.  I took
> the
> > classes to help my architectural photography
> but
> > it made me think more about composition
> always,
> > not just in shooting buildings.  When I can,
> > now take more time to previsualise.<<<<
>
> Hi Colin,
> I'm sure "previsualizing" has much to do with
> the variations of subjects we
> all shoot.
>
> The action of previsualizing a subject has
> never been part of my photography
> and even though I've read of this action by
> many, I must shoot in an
> entirely different manner and mind set.
>
> Mine is generally like the action of, "Jeeeeesh
> look at that, click!"  I
> suppose because my photography is primarily
> people, actions and things
> happening there's hardly a second to
> previsualizing because if I did the
> action would be over.
>
> But I find it interesting when I read
> photographers "previsualize" a scene
> then shoot. I can understand why in many cases,
> none moving things, but it's
> extremely rare I have.  Maybe I should change
> subject matter and slow me
> down a bit. ;-)

Ted,

Whatever you do, do not change.  You got it
right!  Your photos include very many outstanding
shots.  Most of these, if you tried to
previsualise, you would not have got. You would
have missed the "decisive moment".

For me, learning to draw, and to previsualise,
applies only to architecture (and still life and
flower shots, but I don't do those).  In other
words, things that don't move, as you say.

It could never work in photojournalism, because
that involves an immediacy (right word?) that you
have to respond to just as quickly.

I try to previsualise formal portraits (my day
job) but I don't have much time.  I would be
surprised if I ever make a portrait as good as
yours of Jackie Kennedy.  That is an iconic
image, maybe one of the ten best I have ever
seen, it really is that good.  It almost defines
Jackie Kennedy to me.  I bet there was no time to
previsualise that!

Someone of your ability can see a shot and make
it happen in a moment, producing an image that
people all over the world will remember.  That
ability is very rare and the results are
precious.

For me, I have to take my time because I am
learning, and I don't have your ability to make
fast response.  Maybe one day!  But slowing down
has helped my architecture shots.  I want to do
large format too and that will slow me even more.

Thank you so much for your comments.  Reading
your words here on LUG is a great pleasure.

Colin

http://www.yahoo.co.uk/blackberry