Subject: [Leica] New photo essay - Geneva
From: SonC at aol.com (SonC@aol.com)
Date: Thu Apr 6 13:45:53 2006

In a message dated 4/6/2006 3:15:31 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
kmcerlean@hypermedia7.ie writes:

It was  my day in Geneva.

Not a generic day in  Geneva.

Kelly

Hmmm, Kelly, don't get uptight here.  The problem that people  are
commenting
on is that it is presented as a set, but it doesn't quite  say  "Geneva", or
"Day,"  or "Your day."

For example, I don't see why the two women, the beat up car, the guy in the
train,  and the guy fixing his shoe are in the set.  None of those  seem
related to each other, or to the set.

The three airplane included shots, have only that in common,  (maybe  Number
one and the last one can be considered formal composition, but the
falling-in
walls detract from the airplanes, and kinda bring them into a  twin-towers
concept that doesn't make me too happy.

The empty train car and the ATM/ticket machines or whatever they are, are a
little more successful, though neither get you to a place.  The unbalanced
composition and mixed light throw me on the machines. It would be better
without
 the girl, the empty car would be better with one person besides the
motorman.

That leaves the shadow figure, the moving people and the escalator, all of
which say transportation, somehow, but don't intrigue me.

All in all, you need to think of a photo essay just like you do a  film.
Establish, Medium shot, close-up, cutaway or reaction, reestablish,  etc.

Beginning, Middle End.  That's what is missing here.  Also a  relationship
Geneva.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Sonny