Subject: [Leica] Alternate Whispering
From: datamaster at northcoastphotos.com (Gary Todoroff)
Date: Thu Apr 6 18:40:08 2006

Oh boy, a chance to debate with both Ted and B.D. at the same time! Although
a great photo can indeed stand on its own, words along with a photo can
provide a synergy that goes well beyond either.

For me, the work of writing a good caption is usually more effort than the
photograph, and I would love to agree with you both, just for the sake of
eliminating all that work! However, communication is a commitment and
obligation in which the extra effort of writing can often make a difference.

I will agree that it is important to let a photograph "speak" to you first.
I have to remind myself to *look* at a photograph in order to *hear* the
photograph, an oxymoron that becomes understandable with the lingering
effort.

However, depth of understanding can come with words that take you even
further into the world of a photo. Tina's photograph, I think, is good
example of that combination at work. Gents and lady - what a great time we
could have on an evening over these ideas!

In any case, the viewer can always choose to not read a caption. And
"Alternate Whispering" makes for a perfect title for the direction of this
thread within a thread!

Best,
Gary Todoroff
Tree LUGger/Lympa Logger - http://www.northcoastphotos.com/Lympa.htm