Subject: [Leica] Alternate Whispering
From: datamaster at northcoastphotos.com (Gary Todoroff)
Date: Thu Apr 6 20:47:41 2006

B.D. - Probably one of the reasons I photograph is to share the enjoyment of
a moment with others. "En - joy" is an interesting word that brings up the
perspective of "in - joy", as in allowing a fun or meaningful experience of
mine to be communicated to another.

>From that standpoint, if a good caption can increase enjoyment, then I add
that. It doesn't necessarily mean that the photograph can't stand on its
own. Judging a photograph purely by its own merits certainly makes sense in
evaluating the skill of a photographer. However, I think that always
requiring your photographic evaluation approach can limit effective
communication and thereby the enjoyment of a shared moment.

I can certainly agree with you about the baggage often brought to a
photograph in which the photographer assumes all kinds of  enclosed
experience that has no meaning to the viewer.  I have finally figured out
why most people give such poor driving directions - they assume that the map
inside their head is also in yours! Editing out those assumptions in your
own head requires a "stepping outside" approach, not only when you throw
away the photos that don't communicate on their own, but especially when you
capture the photo in the first place, looking for the universal assumptions
and symbols that tell the story to everyone.

Perhaps the debate is more about communication than about a single
photograph.  "Cop-out" applied to the idea of a caption seems like kind of a
harsh word though, and surely more LUgers will contribute to the discussion.

This will be a fun topic over sushi, fine drinks (sorry, Ted, don't much
care for Scotch), and black and white photographs, not necessarily in that
order, next month in Boston!  B.D. - Please send me an off-list e-mail and I
can get you my schedule, if we're still talking to each other by the time
this thread ends!

Gary T
datamaster@northcoastphotos.com