Subject: [Leica] Re: Apple laptop keyboards
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (lrzeitlin@optonline.net)
Date: Wed Apr 12 16:55:52 2006

<<You must be on an Apple desktop because the keyboard of my iBook G is
the worst I have ever used.  When I try to type fast (or slow for that
matter), the curser bounces all over the place landing in odd places
elsewhere in the text.  I love the rest of the machine too much to part
with it.>>

Apple keyboards, especially those on laptops, have gotten worse over the
years. I have been a Mac user since
1984 and still have most of the computers I've owned since that time. (My
anal retentive obsession is the
topic for another post.) The keyboards on recent iBooks are, perhaps the
worst ever affixed to an otherwise
excellent computer. The main problem is the laptop flatness fetish. Keys
should have a travel of at least 5
mm and have a positive snap to give tactile feedback. The excellent early
IBM keyboards are good examples.
To reduce the computer depth to less than 1 inch, Apple has sacrificed key
travel and key "click." Moreover
the thin iBook keyboard frame makes it bounce like a trampoline. The
Powerbooks are somewhat better but
still not good. Even the keyboard of the new MacIntel desktops is inferior
to that supplied on the original
128K Macintosh of 1984. Apple's most ergonomic laptop design and the one
with the best keyboard in recent
memory is the G3 Firewire  My laptop using colleagues cherish this model and
some have upgraded it to
absurd lengths in an attempt to emulate the speed of the newer models but
keep the usability of the old.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Re: Apple laptop keyboards)