Subject: [Leica] Re: Apple laptop keyboards
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Thu Apr 13 09:13:48 2006

Kaypro Computers were made by Andy Kay and family in the San Diego ( Rancho
Santa Fe, overlooking the Pacific) area.  The first company they established
was named Non Linear Systems ( NLS).  NLS made their "fortune" by inventing
and selling digital voltmeters.  I sold a lot of parts to NLS in the years
of the early to mid 70's.  Very good at determining a need, designing to
that need, and marketing to that need.

Pure trivia... using mechanically chopper stabilized, high impedance vacuum
tube and transistor, input amplifiers, that yes, I do remember using.

NLS was further made famous by using early innovative management styles,
including flex hours, buildings that were all 1 floor and laid out in a
campus configuration on a hillside, and I think profit sharing.  They were
quite the HBR study for quite some time.

Why did they die?  Probably because the company was a life style company....
read descriptions above.... and in truth, they were badly managed by the
family, that did not really know how to run a large company, nor was able to
delegate management.

You can read up on them if you are curious, but in truth, they were a very
inventive and successful enterprise.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net