Subject: [Leica] Leica Sighting -- Continued
From: gcr910 at msn.com (Gregory Rubenstein)
Date: Fri Apr 14 15:57:18 2006

Group:

Read the chat under the heading "Leica Sighting" and was a tad more than
irked by a post from Austin Burbridge. Sent the following directly to him
'cuz I don't like public flamings. Austin was kind enough to reply and
strongly recommended posting my note on the LUG. Here it is, with my thanks
to Austin for his reply and courtesy.

Greg
-----
Leica Sighting . . . Unsolicited, Off-List Response

Catching up on my LUG reading and, since I don't like criticizing folks
publicly, I sent this note off-list. Apologies in advance for an
unsolicited, ad hominem rant; your missive hit a nerve with me.

I found your note to be the most narrow-minded, wrong-headed, elitist
posting I've read in my years of LUG participation. Having been a
professional photographer most of my life I'm aware of the distractions
folks stopping to talk can cause. But I am equally aware of, and have
benefitted from, the different points of view, useful information and access
to people, sites and sights they have given me. Even noticing how somebody
watching me work looks at the same thing a bit differently has  improved
some photos. Conversations have proved beneficial -- even when rushing to
meet a deadline. Contacts and access are invaluable; you never know who
those curious, talkative strangers are, who they know or what they do.

Many of these unsolicited conversations -- regardless of the gear I was
using -- helped my work when I was a newsman and in the corporate photo
world. They continue to do so. Out with a Leica a month or two back I
spotted another Leica shooter. He didn't look like he wanted to be bothered,
but spoke as I passed by. Turned out when we exchanged names that I
recognized his as that of a Chicago street shooter who'd just had a highly
acclaimed exhibition that  snowballed into a book. I congratulated him and
learned from what became a pleasant conversation neither of us had planned
on.

Yes, you close your note with a tip of the hat to tact and courtesy. Truth
is I think you ought to open your mind and be more receptive to such
encounters. No telling what you might learn, how your
perspective/vision/photography might improve, or what access or information
you might gain. And, if you find the attention THAT bothersome, maybe a more
private pursuit with a lower profile is in order, a pursuit that does not
include a Web site complete with a self portrait and contact points.

Okay. End of rant. Apologies for an unsolicited "eyeful" from a  stranger,
but that nerve and my big mouth . . . Feel free to rant back or simply tell
me to stuff it; I've tested your patience and courtesy -- you're more than
entitled.

Be well

Greg Rubenstein

P.S. Never had a theft problem with gear around my neck -- again, regardless
of brand. Have, however, noticed vultures circling when I've set up, set
things down or moved slightly out of reach when working. But, like the
Englishman who responded on list, I'm well over six-feet tall and have, with
a smile, "looked off" would-be miscreants.

Replies: Reply from leica at cinemaminima.com (Austin Burbridge) ([Leica] Leica Sighting -- Continued)