Subject: [Leica] melting time?
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Sat Apr 15 02:10:27 2006

I know that this is a big matter of political correctness (as it is
in Europe, be not mistaking), but there's something as being
overcorrect, too.
And overcorrectness leads to the exact opposite solution of the
problem one tried to tackle, which is equally bad.
This is ofcourse totally IMO.
I consider myself as someone 'judging' people on what they do or are,
not on where they come from. So I also consider myself as being not
biassed against one race or another.
And I am very proud of that.

So, my using 'Japs' in a text was saying and implying two things
1) yes, I know it's 'herecy' on this list to talk about non leica
cams and glass, but the Sony people managed to make
2) a fantastic camera that cannot be beaten in its league (and others)
Adding an emoticon on top of it at the end of this text
IMO showed that
a) I was quite aware of the tackiness of mentioning this word;
b) I was using this as a boutade.
c) I supposed people would understand this boutade

But I'll rephrase to make my own standpoint more clear:

Sony? Did I say Sony?
Some might still call the Sony folks Japs, but they managed to make
one hell of a camera.
After comparing a lot of stuff and knowing my shooting style I melted
for its 10,2 MP sensor and 24-120 2.8/4.8 (35mm equiv.) Zeiss lens. I
know it has a small and strange placed LCD, has a stiffer zoom ring
than my just sold Digilux 2, big RAWs, slow writing times and doesn't
perform as well from 1600 ASA on, but for that money, there is just
no (digital) equivalent. Even if AF at macro setting focuses on the
lips instead of the eyes (I go manual 90% of the time).

If in any way I offended anybody, esp. those from Japanese origin, my
humble apologies.

Philippe

BTW: I drive a Toyota and its the best car I ever had.

---

Op 15-apr-06, om 07:34 heeft Arche, Harvey het volgende geschreven: