Subject: [Leica] Re: [LRflex] Yellow-rumped Warbler
From: telyt at telus.net (David Young)
Date: Sun Apr 16 09:42:44 2006

At 16/04/2006, Douglas Herr wrote:

>These have been migrating through here recently; one of their favorite
>refueling points is the almond tree outside my office window:
>
>http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/parulidae/yrwa01.html
>
>technical stuff: R8/DMR, 560 f/6.8+ extension tube, ISO 400
>underexposed 1 stop & pushed in processing
>
>All comments welcome
>
>Doug Herr
>Birdman of Sacramento
>http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Another great photo, Doug!

Nice catch light in his (her?) eye, too!

Noise levels look pretty good!

Dunno about you, but I'm finding that my DM-R overexposes about 1/2
stop, as compared to film. Which is interesting, as its' the same
metering system!

Because of this, I'm now either underexposing 1 stop and correcting
1/2 stop or underexposing 1 1/2 stops and correcting one, which seems
to yield better contrast and saturation with fewer blown highlights.

We're still waiting for most of our migratory birds...  Snow's been
gone for about 2 weeks, but last night we got a fresh, light dusting
of the white stuff!

However, the lakes are starting to thaw, and the migrations should
soon be here.

Which software are you using to 'develop' your images?

BTW... you say this is outside your _office_ window... err...
shouldn't you have been working???  ;-)

Cheers!

---

David Young,