Subject: [Leica] race night
From: Harvey.Arche at jp2hs.org (Arche, Harvey)
Date: Tue Apr 18 17:54:19 2006

OK, so I was born very much to the South, and my parents made going to the
races at Sebring an annual get-away-from-the-kids event (a sign of coming of
age was when I got to go along) and I've always loved fast cars. Now I'm
sitting on an AARP card. You'd think that surely at some point in time I'd
been to a stock car race, but no, I've always snooted it. Until last Friday
night. Music City Motorplex. This is sub-Busch league, mom & pop, inner
city, 1/2 mile oval racing, and it was fantastic - I kid you negative.

Even to a first time visitor, there is an immediate impression of community.
Whole multi-generational families, and parents dropping of groups of
pre-teens with no worry that anything might happen to them. People all
seemed to know each other. And everyone was extremely welcoming,
accomodating to a newcomer with explanations, and open in conversation
without being condescending, even though I obviously didn't fit the pattern.
Hell, the track announcer came up and introduced myself to me, but that
might have been because of the German jewelry.

I haven't tried narrative reportage before, so here are two brief stories.
The first is self-explanatory: a young man's first win;

http://gallery.leica-users.org/album404/first_win
http://gallery.leica-users.org/album404/hug
http://gallery.leica-users.org/album404/the_goods
http://gallery.leica-users.org/album404/interview
http://gallery.leica-users.org/album404/the_sponser

The second could use some backstory. The fellow who won this race has been
doing it for longer, but not as long as his 65 year old Dad, who came in
second. Dad had kicked Jr.'s butt in the qualifying race.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/album404/congrats
http://gallery.leica-users.org/album404/luckycharm
http://gallery.leica-users.org/album404/runnerup
http://gallery.leica-users.org/album404/dad
http://gallery.leica-users.org/album404/the_moment
http://gallery.leica-users.org/album404/afterwards

Picks, pans, and editing advice?

I think I'll be going back.
Arche

Tech Blab: M2, 35 summicron w/bugeyes, neopan 1600

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] race night)
Reply from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] race night)
Reply from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] race night)
Reply from pritchettr at charter.net (Rob Pritchett) ([Leica] race night)