Subject: [Leica] Marialuisa Morando - $1900
From: walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson)
Date: Thu Apr 20 12:09:42 2006

Adam,

It is hard to deny how meaningful   Ms.Morando's images  could be after
reading your post. Once  her work  faces a little recontextualization
and put on a path for exploration she will move to the top of the heap.
(whatever the hell all that means?)

I'd certainly like to think if those images had been posted here the
group would react with polite discretion. Were they to be posted with a
$1900 price tag that politeness could rightfully mutate to uncontrolled
derision.

Many of us  have seen more than our share of non-representational art in
multiple disciplines. I, for one, am not adverse to self-expression
carrying someone miles off the "beaten path". On the other hand, I'd be
willing to bet $100  B.D. could duplicate Ms. Morando's art more
effectively than she could his. If her work needs a wall to make it
communicate something other than what most here see then hang them at
MOMA. If that is the case though, then why let them be presented in this
fashion?

The site Morando's work graced was so typical of these online
marketplaces. It had more than it's share of "art nudes" but I came away
feeling somewhat puzzled. All the beautiful young ladies without clothes
and without personae. It is as if most of those "artists" feel nothing
about their subjects. If art is not really about communication then I've
greatly misspoken but I did start with an open mind.

Walt