Subject: [Leica] Re:Bye Bye Mamiya
From: telyt at telus.net (David Young)
Date: Sat Apr 22 07:33:18 2006

At 22/04/2006, you wrote:

>Harvey,
>
>They are are pretty good deal. Arax cameras are not really
>manufactured under that name. The idea was to buy up Kiev's from the
>factory. Kievs from the factory are no big hit. All the pieces are
>(usually) there, but not at the right tolerances etc.
>
>So Arax completely dismantles them and reassembles the shutters and
>things like that with much greater precision.
>
>They can also polish and re-coat elements of lenses, in case you have
>a Summicron or Summitar with flaky coating (happens). They are a
>pretty competent group.
>
>Some of the lenses are gems. I think the standard is one of them. I'd
>go with a 120. Most people turn to them to get into wide-angle medium
>format at a reasonable price.
>
>In the USA I think a similar business idea has been picked up by the
>guy behind:
>
>http://www.kievusa.com/
>
>He also works them over before he sells them. He doesn't have the same
>optical capacity though. A lot of people send their lenses to Arax for
>polishing and recoating.
>
>All and all, they have a good rep.
>
>Daniel

G'mornin' Daniel!

Do you, or does anybody here, have experience with the ARAX series of
35mm shift or tilt/shift lenses in Leica R mount?  The look very
reasonable, and if they're as good as you suggest, they might well be
worth the money, as compared to, say, a used f4 PA Curtagon.

Anybody?

TIA.

---

David Young,