Subject: [Leica] Re: Distortion
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Wed Apr 26 13:55:45 2006

On Apr 26, 2006, at 4:34 PM, Ted wrote:

> The least bit of tilt down or up and the picture is screwed... period~!
>
> That is unless you want distortion, then go wild and tilt it way up or
> down,
> that puts a completely different perspective beyond reality and it's
> accepted by the eyes.
>
> A miserable little mis-handling and you'll be whining all over the
> place
> that this lens has distortion. When in fact it's the idiot handling the
> camera!

Another reason why the eye can't be compared to a camera. We can look
at objects from a variety of angles, head tilted up or down, neck
craned sideways, even with the head held upside down. Do we see
distortion? Not much. The mind corrects for all those crazy angles and
things look perfectly ordinary. We only see the optical distortion when
we view an abstract  representation of a scene - as in a photograph.
Although I know some philosophers who claim that the photo represents
reality and we live in a world of illusion.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] Re: Distortion)