Subject: [Leica] Re: Small cars
From: msmall at aya.yale.edu (Marc James Small)
Date: Wed Apr 26 19:53:34 2006

At 09:51 PM 4/26/06 -0400, Don Dory wrote:

>But with gas hitting $3 in the U.S. people might change.  Possibly try mass
>transit.

Mass transit is simply not an option for 70% or more of the population, as
an increasing number of folks in the US live in small towns or in the far
outer suburbs -- can you imagine the cost to drive the DC Metro out to,
say, Clarke County?  Mass transit already works for those living in the
inner reaches of the large metro areas, but we lack the infrastructure to
see use increase dramatically.

I'd slap a $5 a gallon tax on gasoline imported from outside the US, open
ANWR, and start pumping natural gas from the Florida coastal waters.  The
money from the new tax should go to set up processing plants for shale oil
-- the US has raw reserves of shale oil equivalent to something on the
order of ten times the proven petroleum reserves.

I drive a manual '84 Audi 4000S which gets 40mpg on the highway and 30mpg
around town.  My wife has a straight-drive Hyundai Elentra which does
almost as well.  I am looking for a late 1950's VW Bus to use to haul my
gear when I go camping, but there is no rush on that:  my wife and I can
lug it all in both cars now.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!