Subject: [Leica] Re: Photography as art
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sat Apr 29 19:28:44 2006

On Apr 29, 2006, at 8:29 PM, Dan K. wrote:

> I read a newspaper article that photography is losing its place as a
> serious art form. It took many years for photo images to become
> acceptable.  Of late, art galleries are exhibiting less and less
> photographs. Art collectors seem to be less interested in acquiring
> photographs.

I don't know about collectors but more and more art museums are
mounting photography exhibits. The advent of digital manipulation has
blurred the line between pure photography and fine arts. My wife, an
accomplished artist, has won numerous prizes for her multimedia works
incorporating digitally manipulated photographs, painting, and collage.
She has exhibited at both the Guggenheim and the Brooklyn Museum of
Art. She claims that digital massaging of the image frees her from the
constraints of the geometry imposed by the camera's optics.

Incidentally she is a purist. She will never work on an image that she
didn't photograph herself. My pictures are safe.

Larry Z