Subject: [Leica] Sebring 12 Hrs. '59 - OT!!
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Mon May 1 14:27:15 2006

Philippe, Arche,

Quoting from Brain Laban's book, "Le Mans 24 Hours, The complete story...

"In 1925 the start was held for the first and only time on the Mulsanne
Straight...The pits and start-line grandsatnd moved with it because the
owner of
the land normally used had asked for too much money as the crowds continued
grow. This meant that it was Hunaudieres that witnessed the birth of ...the
running Le Mans start.

as The Motor colourfully described it, 'As the loudspeaker gave out the
final
warnings the competitors' cars were parked diagonally down the right-hand
side
of the road wioth the hoods folded and strapped down and with doors shut.
The
drivers stood tense and expectant on the other side of the course. Slowly
the
minutes ticked by until, with the dropping of a great flag and a stentorian
"Partez!" from gargantuan loudspeakers the drivers raced for their cars,
erected
their hoods with all possible speed, leaped in, depressed the starter
button,
and roared off'"

The race continued to start in this way until 1970.

I presume that the diagonal parking was caused by the limited space on the
road/shoulder at that point after the stands and pits had been put in place.

Cars not only had to run with hoods, they had to be driven for a fixed
distance
with the hoods up. All repairs in the early days had to be effected by the
driver and he was not allowed to receive outside assistance on pain of
disqualification. That went for refuelling too.

It was after all originally envisaged as a strict test of the usability of
the
cars for daily use, where a "works team" would not be to hand! In fact the
winner of the Rudge-Whitworth Cup (the main prize) was only determined over
three races held in consecutive years. This is part of the reason that there
are
so many classifications for efficiencey.

Peter Dzwig