Subject: [Leica] Aaron's PAW 16: Southwestern Visions
From: aaron.sandler at duke.edu (Aaron Sandler)
Date: Tue May 2 09:12:17 2006

Hi Ken,

It's #2 and #3 that are "split-toned"...it's a technique for B&W prints.
This split-toning is a digital version of an old darkroom technique in
which the dark tones are sepia-toned and the light tones are given a cyan
colored toning (I'm sure someone will correct me if I've got that wrong in
some way).  It was beyond me in the wet darkroom, but I'm not too proud to
admit I give it a whirl from time to time in the digital darkroom.  :)

I've posted the occasional "split-toned" photo over the past few years,
starting with:
http://www.sandlerphotographs.com/PAW/2004_13/index.html
(That wet street photo on that page makes a gorgeous print...the
splittoning really seems to increase the depth of the photo.)

I found the instructions here:
http://www.computer-darkroom.com./tutorials/tutorial_2_3.htm
and then I experimented from there.  Now I have the basics in a PS
action...I tweak the settings for the specific photo.  I find it most
pleasing on photos with large areas of very dark tones, but YMMV.

Best,
Aaron

Replies: Reply from bruce at ralgo.nl (bruce) ([Leica] Aaron's PAW 16: Southwestern Visions)
Reply from kennybod at mac.com (Kenneth Frazier) ([Leica] Aaron's PAW 16: Southwestern Visions)