Subject: [Leica] OT: Egg Coddlers
From: msmall at aya.yale.edu (Marc James Small)
Date: Wed May 3 11:32:42 2006

This is just as OT as the discussion of automobiles and racing, but I
promise not to mention Sterling Moss or Graham Hill or, for that matter,
Graham Chapman or John Cleese.

Some years back, we had discussed egg coddlers and I mentioned tht Jenaer
Glass -- the modern, Zeiss-owned successor to the original Schott und
Genossen glassworks in Jena -- had resumed production of the Wagenfeld
glass designs of 1933 and was making egg coddlers in single-egg and
double-egg sizes.  I had gotten mine from Martha Stewart but her company
stocked these as a one-shot offer only.  I had promised to advise you folks
if I found a source for these.  I have good news and bad news.

The bad news is that Jenaer Glass quite production of all consumer
glassware in March, 2005.  Their press release states that this was caused
by competition from "low-wage countries" though why they simply didn't
shift production to one of the Schott factories located in such countries
is beyond me -- Schott has five or six plants around the world which
produce like items such as coffeepots and carafes.

The good news is that Jankos in Canada and Williams-Sonoma in California
still have the single-egg cups in stock, and Fante's Kitchen Wares in
Philadelphia has the double-egg cups.

Wonderful items and that these were made in the very factory which produced
the glass from which the original Tessar and Biotar and Sonnar and Biogon
designs were made adds a certain cachet to their utility.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] OT: Egg Coddlers)