Subject: [Leica] OT: Egg Coddlers
From: msmall at aya.yale.edu (Marc James Small)
Date: Wed May 3 12:39:03 2006

At 07:06 PM 5/3/06 +0000, jon.stanton@comcast.net wrote:
>What's an "egg coddler"?   Is it a polite name for a jock strap?

It is a device for coddling eggs -- a process somewhat akin to cooking a
soft-boiled egg, only they can be cooked to taste and spices and the like
added.  These are either porcelain or glass and have been around for around
125 years.  Royal Worcester in, oddly enough, Worcester, England, developed
them in the late nineteenth century and they are still making them today.
Others are made in China.  The French made them for years but I am not
certain that any are still being made there today.

These are every bit as much the focus of collector gluttony as are old
cameras, though MY gluttony for egg coddlers is in their use, though,
camera person that I am, I have saved the boxes for all of my egg coddlers
and keep them next to the boxes for my Leica, Zeiss, Cosina, Rolleiflex,
and Hasselblad stuff.  <he grins>

Much more than you ever wanted to know can be found at

<http://www.egg-coddlers.com/>

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!