Subject: [Leica] A bit of Margritte?
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Sun May 7 09:30:45 2006

Why should it always be hard to be good?

If it really would be about that, then you are appreciating the
effort of making a photograph more than the photograph itself.
Do you like a painting because it was hard to make it or because of
what's on the canvas?
Do you like a painting because it's a perfect reproduction of
reality, or because of the interpretation of that reality by the
painter?
It's exactly the same. Just a different technique.

Another question: B.D. just showed us a wonderful series of
photographs, reporting style. Amongst them is a beautiful shot of a
laborant seen through a petri dish. It is obviously 'staged': the
photographer interfered in the reality, asking the lady to hold the
petri dish in a certain way, to be able to shoot it through the dish.
It's a constructed photograph, too. Nonetheless it stays a beautiful
shot, showing how B.D. 'saw' that moment.
IMO making or taking pictures is all about the interpretation of a
situation. A real photograph does not exist.

Great stuff to talk about somewhere in a good bar with good,
uninterfering music on the background ;-)

Op 7-mei-06, om 18:14 heeft Walt Johnson het volgende geschreven: