Subject: [Leica] my first assignment
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor)
Date: Mon May 8 12:06:34 2006

Congratulations Philippe.  I'm sure you'll make a great success of it
based on what you've posted here.  Beware the bright sun, though,
both on yourself and your photos.  On my first trip to Kenya, I
simply could not believe most of the outdoor meter readings I got
and, fearing underexposure, came home with a pile of overexposed
slides.

I know you're a world traveller so my apologies in advance if any of
this is old-hat to you, but forewarned is forearmed in travel in my
experience.  You should avoid uncooked food, such as salads, drink
only bottled or processed water [Beer! :-)] of known quality, and
make sure you have your favorite diarrhea medication with you.  You
might want to ask your doctor about the latest prescription
anti-diarrheal, too.  Taking a couple of rolls of toilet paper is
probably also a good idea.  I usually carry a small SW radio with me,
too.

It's bad news to walk barefoot in some areas, because  of really
nasty  parasites in the ground.  You should look into other possible
health risks, too.  This is one area I've found government advice
actually helpful. :-)

I was told all this before I went to Kenya for the first time.  I was
working on a satellite project that would be launched from a platform
off the coast of the small town of Malindi.   We were going to stay
in only the finest hotels and be in a area very familiar with
American/European standards.  For all of that, I was really glad I
did what I was told to do.

Good luck.

>Yeeha!
>
>A bit to my surprise, today I've been asked to do a
>reportage/documentary in Senegal at the end of may. I'll be there
>for 5 days.
>Except for all my expenses, I'll be doing this for free. So no
>commission: it's a unique opportunity for me, it's for a non-profit
>organisation that's starting up a project, and I don't really need
>the money that much, thanks to my professional life in advertising.
>Afterwards, there will be an auction of a selection of my work to
>fund the project. The reproduction rights will stay with me.

(snip)