Subject: [Leica] my first assignment
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Mon May 8 11:00:26 2006

Yeeha!

A bit to my surprise, today I've been asked to do a reportage/
documentary in Senegal at the end of may. I'll be there for 5 days.
Except for all my expenses, I'll be doing this for free. So no
commission: it's a unique opportunity for me, it's for a non-profit
organisation that's starting up a project, and I don't really need
the money that much, thanks to my professional life in advertising.
Afterwards, there will be an auction of a selection of my work to
fund the project. The reproduction rights will stay with me.

I plan to take 3 of my cameras: a Sony DSC-R1 with 2 Gb of CF, a
Ricoh GR D with 21mm attachment, external VF and 1 Gb of SD, and a
Leica M4-2 with CV 35/2.5 Color Skopar, 50/2 Summicron and a 90/4
Rokkor.
On the M4-2, I'll shoot only in B&W. Light measurement with the VC II
Lightmeter, and a Sekonic Dualmaster L-558.
I also prepare to take a 40 gig image tank, my 17" PowerBook, a small
reflection screen and spare battery sets. Lots of the latter. And
ofcourse all the necessary cords, cardreaders etc.
Some material to dedust cameras and lenses, too.

Now, since this is my first assignment, and the first trip into
Central West Africa (I've ony been in South-Africa untill now), I
want to prepare as good as I can. A few questions arise:
1) For the B&W, should I stick to 100 ASA (I use Fuji Neopan 100
Acros and from time to time TMax 100), or go lower? Which
automatically brings me into Foma films or equivalent.
2) For the digital (esp. the Sony), should I take an ND filter with
me (the Sony's lowest ISO is 160)?

Any very important things that I forget here?
Useful tips and tricks? (I'll take a good hat, multi pocket trousers,
good walking shoes, black or white (long sleeved) T-shirts, and maybe
knee pads with me)
And also the things I usually take with me when I travel abroad (a
scarf, a pocket knife, 6 ft. of cord, a candle, waxed matches,
aspirin, a tiny survival blanket, a compass and a steady watch)
Vaccinations etc. are been taking care of.

All of this will fit in a smallish LowePro kind of backpack that will
never leave my side.
I speak French and English, so I do not suspect that will pose any
problems.
It is not an expedition, so a real survival kit won't be necessary.

Counting on the vast knowledge residing on this forum now, f.i. (and
amongst others) from Ted, Tina and Daniel,
and really looking forward to your do's and don'ts.

Thanks already,
Philippe

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] my first assignment)
Reply from jgovindaraj at eth.net (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] my first assignment)
Reply from jwlee01 at gmail.com (John Lee) ([Leica] my first assignment)
Reply from kennybod at mac.com (Kenneth Frazier) ([Leica] my first assignment)
Reply from michiel.fokkema at wanadoo.nl (Michiel Fokkema) ([Leica] my first assignment)
Reply from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] my first assignment)
Reply from r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor) ([Leica] my first assignment)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] my first assignment)
Reply from walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson) ([Leica] my first assignment)