Subject: [Leica] my first assignment
From: walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson)
Date: Mon May 8 12:41:13 2006

Philippe:

You are certainly talented enough to do a fine job on this assignment.
Sounds as if you have it well planned as far as accessories go but  I'd
rethink the camera/film situation.. If you're going to be doing
reportage you might want to travel light.  couple of M bodies,
21,35,50,90  and a spare body just in case. Film wise, 400 iso color neg
is versatile enough for any requirements. Quality on these current  C-41
films is fantastic and will allow you to decide on color/b&w in more
favorable environment.(home with a/c, Photoshop and a beer)

After reading your post I felt you might be getting yourself bogged down
with too much equipment. Also, with such a variety of cameras can you
really react to situations intuitively? For me, everything has to be the
same except for the focal length. A wide angle around the neck, a 50 or
90 on the right shoulder and a small bag on the left. It might sound a
bit too regimented but will serve well in fast moving situations.(that
doesn't mean fast as in quick on your feet but fast as in thinking)

In any case, I'm anxious to see the results. Ever since you posted
those  images of your children it was obvious to me  you're a "realist"
at heart. :-)

Walt