Subject: [Leica] B&W Conversion options
From: rpalmier at depaul.edu (bob palmieri)
Date: Wed May 10 07:56:22 2006

Folks -

Shot some shots of the immigration rally here in Chicago last week;
here's a coupla samples:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/immigration-rally-05-06/check_yourself_65

http://gallery.leica-users.org/immigration-rally-05-06/none_illegal_63

Liked the color thing, but decided to try to convert to B&W.  I think
maybe in the case of the first one I might need the color to establish
contrast in the light as shot, but I was wondering about these
dedicated "convert to B&W" tools.  Do they do more than an artful
application of channel mixer & curves? If so, which tools really work
for you? If not, do some of you have favorite ratios & shapes for the
manual method?

I promise I'll search the archives since I've been out of touch with
this list for awhile but since this sort of thing seems like an
ever-changing game I thought I'd throw this out there.

I'm also interested in knowing how people feel about the use of color
vs B&W for documentary-style snapping in general, although I suppose it
really depends on the individual image...

Bob Palmieri

Replies: Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] B&W Conversion options)
Reply from msadat at gmail.com (mehrdad) ([Leica] B&W Conversion options)
Reply from nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] B&W Conversion options)