Subject: [Leica] Re: B&W Conversion Options
From: rpalmier at depaul.edu (bob palmieri)
Date: Thu May 11 12:01:29 2006

Folks -

Thanks to Doug, Mehrdad & Philippe for pointing me to some cool options
for this B&W conversion business.  Looks like it'll take me a few weeks
to sort them out.

I started arbitrarily with the Zuber Photographics stuff and was
surprised that his "perceived luminance" method was way heavy on the
green channel.  Me, when poking it out with sliders, I usually end up
heavy on the red...

I've decided to answer my own question regarding color vs B&W in
contemporary street stuff; I'm thinking now that unless the color is
distracting or emotionally conflicting with the image I'm gonna try
color.
The B&W thing is looking sorta overly dramatic to me at the moment;
'course, it could just be defensiveness about being such an old school
graybeard.
And with the ease of capture-in-color and convert-if-desired option
this is a good time to be a weenie.  However, I'll keep looking at my
library of great B&W stuff (and the galleries of a bunch of you
LUG'gers) for a reality check... damn, that classic stuff looks good!

Bob Palmieri

Replies: Reply from Jim at hemenway.com (Jim Hemenway) ([Leica] Re: B&W Conversion Options)