Subject: [Leica] Re: Camera repair
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Wed May 10 18:01:41 2006

On May 7, 2006, at 5:22 AM, lug-request@Marc Small wrote:

> I have great respect for your ability  repair cameras and lenses -- and
> even greater respect for your daring in doing so!  I rebuilt a Contax
> II
> one time just to learn how to do it.  Having done so, I henceforth
> send out
> my stuff for repair to those who do this to earn their daily bread.

Marc,

If you rebuilt a Contax you are starting at the top. It's like a
surgeon doing brain surgery before learning how to fix a hangnail. The
Contax is unarguably the most complex of the 1940s/1950s  era RF
cameras. Leicas, especially the LTM series, are simple and more robust
machines. I would not hesitate to encourage any mechanically inclined
photographer to attempt to repair a user quality LTM Leica. All you
need is a manual, a set of watchmakers screwdrivers, and a modicum of
courage. After a dozen Leica explorations, you might be confident
enough to attempt a Contax.

Larry Z