Subject: [Leica] What's the Best All-Around 50?
From: msmall at aya.yale.edu (Marc James Small)
Date: Thu May 11 12:18:57 2006

Hmm.

There is no one "best" 50mm lens for the Leica -- there is only the lens
which will be the best one for your use.  The parameters, as previously
pointed out, include optical performance, cost, weight, flexibility, and
the like, and there are just too many offerings around to pick one single
design as the ultimax normal lens.  Sorry to be so rigid but this really is
the way it works -- one man's meat is, after all, another man's poison.
Or, for the politically correct in our number, 'one person's meat is
another person's poison'.

If I were approaching Leica today, I'd but the current 2/50 Summicron until
I learned my way around the system a bit.  For that matter, if cost were a
matter, I'd go for the 2.8/50 Elmar.

As it is, I own a bunch of 50mm's though not as many as does A Certain
Other Member Of This List Who Shall Remain Anonymous.  The normal lens on
my M6 is a 1.4/50 Summilux-M and that on my M3 is a 2/5cm NF Summicron.  I
also own a 2/5cm Summitar, a 1.5/5cm Summarit, and a 2/5cm collapsible
Summicron, all in LTM, which I occasionally use on my M's with the
appropriate adapter.  All are great lenses.

The non-ASPH 1.4/50 Summilux-M is a great lens.  It took Leitz three
decades to meet up with the epic stature of Bertele's 1931 1.5/5cm Sonnar,
but they did so with the second version of the Summilux, and a killer lens
it is.  For those concerned with cost, that lens is a winner, as it is
being discounted on the used-equipment market as the new ASPH lens
supercedes it.  The Jupiter-3 is, of course, the ultimate for those
concerned with cost:  I paid $90 for my late Zagorsk version and it is a
great lens in all respects and is the optical equivalent of my Summilux,
though the mount's build quality is not up to the Leitz standard, of course.

Now, if cost were not an object, I'd go for either the 1.4/50 ASPH Summilux
or the Noctilux.  Should I win the Mega-Millions tomorrow, I will be
ordering one of each and a bunch of other lenses on Monday, if I don't just
flat-out buy control of the company!

Your vision is your own.  Your constraints are your own.  Some folks have
fiscal concerns.  Some folks have physical constraints which limit the
ability to carry a heavy lens.  (We have a member over on the IDCC who
suffers from some physical disability which forces him to use a walker.  It
is amazing how much gear he can carry on bags strapped to a walker and on
his service dog.  He had never mentioned having a physical problem and one
day he popped up mentioning his service dog.  We all immediately thought,
"seeing-eye dog" and thoughts of a blind photographer popped into our
heads.  Finally, a daring list member asked him why he needed a service
dog, and the truth came out.  The mutual sigh of relief caused a major
Internet ructus.)

Other folks need low-light abilities, while some only photograph in broad
daylight.  Some folks swap lenses frequently, while others hold them for
decades.  It all depends on you and on your own needs.  Again, your vision
is your own.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!