Subject: [Leica] In search of the elusive nuances
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Mon May 15 09:27:52 2006

When I brought up the "appreciation" of bokeh I said nothing of
tools. I'm totally on board with the irrelevance of the "tool" in the
hands of the artist when initially experiencing the work. What ever
tool the artist uses s/he will fully harness the qualities of the
tool and use those qualities to express the "feeling" that they're
needing to express. Those various qualities have names. They exist.
We don't have to use their names to appreciate them.

But denying the existence of the wide range of appearances in out of
focus areas in photographs, and their effect in the final graphic
work does not make sense to me; anymore than denying the difference
between Charlie Musslewhite's deep, full, rich tone and Junior
Parker's smooth tone. They achieve their results with totally
different choices of instruments. They could trade instruments and
neither would sound like the other. But their instrument choice is
part of the equation.

A couple folks submitted examples of OOF areas which have a distinct
and, to my eyes, disturbing, for the given subject, rendition of OOF
areas. The point is not that these renditions are "good or bad." They
simply didn't work for the subjects. In the hands of an artist, who
could exploit the unique qualities, those particular tools could be
used to expressive advantage. Whether we use the word bokeh or refer
to the "rendition of out-of-focus area" we can see and talk about
those qualities. In many photographs those qualities are secondary,
or even meaningless, to the power of the image. In others they're
very much a part of the mood created.

What we're really talking about here is not a composer's spirited
nature, melancholy or religious fervor; but the musician's rendition
of same. And I know enough musicians, photographers, and artists to
know that they're all constantly on a quest for the tools that will
deliver the "tones, timbre, and resonances" which they seek in their
work. To assume that a reed-man doesn't care about reeds can only
mean you've never had a conversation with a reed man; the same would
be true of string players and their strings; ad nauseam. While you
may not care about what reeds, strings, brushes, pigments, papers,
canvases, etc. are being chosen - I can assure you that the artists
do care - and it is their caring which finally brings the tears, joy
and goose bumps to us as appreciators.

As an art appreciator you can simply appreciate the "feeling." Or you
can appreciate the feeling as well as how that feeling was produced.
I've always had this little "how'd they do that?" voice in me.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@imagist.com

Replies: Reply from walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson) ([Leica] In search of the elusive nuances)