Subject: [Leica] In search of the elusive nuances
From: walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson)
Date: Mon May 15 11:58:27 2006

 I  agree with everything you've said here.There are certainly
characteristics of each and every lens we choose and learning those
traits is an absolute necessity. I do believe focal length, film to
subject distance and aperture used are instrumental in creating what we
have termed bokeh. Selective focus has always been a tool available to
us and helps clarify our visual statements.

Speaking of bokeh, I'm sure you remember the old Nikkor 500 f8 mirror
lens. It had a bokek so evident as to be a bit nauseous. There is no
doubt in my mind what many people think of as bokeh is an
interchangeable effect consisting of the things I mentioned. To change
the look of your background open the lens up or move closer or change to
a longer/shorter piece of glass.

Years back a friend claimed her M3 and 50 would produce an image
quality  far beyond my Nikon and 50. Using both on similar subjects made
me reach certain conclusions many here might disagree with. The Leitz
lens was superior in terms of rendering luminosity in the shadows but
the Nikkor was sharper. A bit anecdotal, I admit, but 30 years later the
same result wouldn't surprise me.I'm glad the term bokeh wasn't around
then or she and I would still be debating.

My son is a professional guitarist and the search for what feels just
right to him has been an expensive proposition for us all. I've shared
ideas and studios with painters who never gave up looking for a method
to squeeze out more from their work. One  big difference, or so it
seems, when was the last time you saw an artist  present his or her work
for viewing and list brands of brushes used. Wouldn't that seem a bit
ludicrous? On the other hand, we list cameras,lenses, films, apertures,
developers.etc.and trivialize the creativity involved. HCB used Leicas
and 50s. I could be shooting over his shoulder with the same darn
equipment and I'll bet my images would fall far short of his. (although
I might be able to out shoot him since he's dead, but not certain of that)

In any even I'm going to continue my search for the elusive bokeh
monster. If I have any luck you'll see him hanging on my barn door. :-)

Walt